Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Friday, February 10, 2017

Purdie Rejoins Hereford


Continuing BN's series of articles about Hereford's Rob Purdie, it's the 2007/08, 2008/09, 2009/10 seasons and 2010/11 seasons.

After leaving Hereford in June 2007, Rob Purdie joined Darlington where he stayed for two seasons.

Then in May 2009 he joined Oldham. However he never played for their first team and on October 29th 2010 he rejoined Hereford United initially on loan.

The next day Hereford were away at Stockport. The Bulls won 5-0 and Purdie scored two of them.

"It couldn't have gone any better," Purdie told BBC Hereford and Worcester.

"I'm not here to play games to get fit to go back to Oldham. I don't have a future at Oldham whether I score twenty goals or two goals on my loan spell. It doesn't matter.

"I just here to win myself a contract and do well for Jamie."

Purdie has had unfortunate injury problems but came through the game without any problems.

"I wanted to make sure I was fit.

"I had a hip injury and I was mis-diagnosed a couple of times. I had three operations last season.

"It's been a long hard year and then I was told I had no chance playing for Oldham. It's been a tough eighteen months.

"So it was good to come back to Hereford. It's a club where I feel at home."

Purdie's third goal came against Hythe in the FA Cup.

'Young Weir skipped forward and played a perfectly weighted ball for Purdie to run onto and slot the ball home.'

Another Cup Game, another goal for Purdie. This time in a 2-2 with Lincoln.

'Purdie showed determination in chasing a loose ball but there seemed little danger as Gavin Hoyte shepherded it back to Joe Anyon in the visitors’ goal. A momentary hesitation allowed our Rob (well Oldham’s anyway, for the moment) to get a foot in and find the net with a trundling effort from the edge of the box.'

A hamstring injury and also the weather meant Purdie missed several games around Christmas. And news came that Oldham were helping to pay his wages.

'Meanwhile Rob Purdie is likely to extend his stay at Edgar Street as a loan rather than a permanent transfer. Oldham are reported to be subsidising half his wages during his current loan spell, and are currently unable to agree a pay-off with the midfielder due to their precarious financial state.'

On January 27th news that Purdie was to remain with Hereford for the rest of the season.

"He went down to Hereford, done well," said Oldham manager Paul Dickov.

"The biggest thing with Rob was that he needed games. He had a terrible time through injury.

"We've got an agreement for Rob to stay there until the end of the season."
 

Two days later an FA Cup fourth round defeat at Sheffield Wednesday. Purdie came on for 30 minutes but couldn't influence the result. 

On January 31st Oldham released Purdie and he signed for the Bulls. Later he spoke about Graham Turner.

"I had nowhere to go when I was not wanted at Leicester City and Graham gave me the chance at Hereford.

"I pretty much owe my career to Graham - he was a big influence on me."

And then Torquay on February 1st. Purdie shouldn't have played because he was ineligible. So said the FL.

It turned out that his registration had been forwarded to the FL a few hours late. 

A few days later and Purdie scored from the spot in a 2-2 draw against Macclesfield. 

Purdie In A Game Against Burton
Purdie featured in most games at this time. But didn't at Oxford.

"Rob Purdie, he wasn't here today," was all manager Pitman said. 

And then he was left out or restricted to substitute appearances until the visit of Barnet on March 12th. But Hereford lost, again. 

For the away game at Port Vale a new formation saw Purdie playing in a five man midfield. But he starts were limited as manager Jamie Pitman seemed to change the line-up every game. 

On April 6th it was confirmed that Hereford were to be docked three points for playing Purdie in an away game at Torquay on February 1st when not correctly registered.

Purdie was back in the starting eleven on April 16th at Rotherham but only because Ryan Green was injured.

'Then Rob Purdie, on the overlap, produced a fine cross, which was turned away for a fruitless corner before he, again, was defensively alert to block a stinging shot from Law.'

With a home defeat to Shrewsbury on April 23rd the Bulls were in a relegation battle. However with a 1-1 home draw against Bradford on April 30th it was confirmed they would play in League Two the following season.

As regards Purdie's half-season, he scored five goals but wasn't a regular starter.

'after the last 2 yrs I've had I couldn't have wished for a better 6 months at a club I like'

Talks about a new contract were set to take place but were delayed because Pitman was on holiday. 

On May 26th Pitman sai "I'm still talking to Rob (Purdie), hopefully we can come to some agreement in the next week or so."  

Then on June 6th news of a one year deal for Purdie was confirmed. 

A week later Purdie spoke to BBC Hereford and Worcester about playing for Hereford.

"I understand that I could start in maybe ten positions next season which might hinder my career but is keeping me in the Football League.
 

"I would prefer to play one or two positions but if I can play 30,40 games per season left back, right back etc that's better than playing ten games in one position."