Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Caretaker Barr To Apply For Dragons Job


Wrexham will come to Edgar Street on Saturday under the guidance of caretaker boss Billy Barr, who is expected to want the job full time.

Barr had coaching roles at Carlisle, Preston, and Sheff Weds before agreeing to become Andy Morrell's assistant at Wrexham in 2011. Prior to his current caretaker role, he had a five game spell in temporary charge at Carlisle where he won only two points.

Barr told the local press that he was concentrating on getting the players' spirits up in the aftermath of their 5-0 loss to Luton, rather than proving he is the right man for the job: 

“I am not bothered about me, I am just bothered about them players because whether it is myself or somebody else, they will be here anyway. We go again, I will do the job until I am told not to and we will deal with the circumstances after that - it is not about Billy Barr.

“I am gutted for the lads because we thought that if we were at our A game, I’m not saying we would beat them but we would give them a game.

“But I’m taking nothing away from Luton, they were magnificent and they deserve to go up as champions.”

Dragons' chairman Don Bircham has told fans that over 100 applicants have already put their names in for the job, calling some of them timewasters and others 'over qualified', and that the board will sit down on Tuesday to sift through the submissions.

Bookies' favourite Frank Sinclair has refused to speak publicly about the job, with Wrexham Director Barry Horne watching Sinclair's Colwyn Bay on Tuesday night, but ex-Luton man Gary Brabin has again gone to the press to announce his candidacy.