Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

From the Archive - Dodge training to become a Physio

Hereford United physio Ian Rodgerson had a football career spanning the best part of twenty years but before he retired from the game, he decided he would like to become a physiotherapist. Here's a look back at an interview he gave to the Sports Argus which was published thirteen years ago today.

 May 29th 1999:

INJURIES are an occupational hazard for a footballer.

Now Ian Rodgerson intends to make an occupation out of injuries by becoming a fully qualified physiotherapist reports the Sports Argus.

The 33-year-old Hereford United defender has already passed the basic and intermediate stages and next week starts work on the diploma part of the Football Association's treatment of injuries course at Lilleshall..

It's a cerebral challenge, rather than usual full-back's challenge, and one he's looking forward to.

As he admits, he has been on the other side of the fence often enough.

In a career which started in 1984-85 when he joined Hereford from Pegasus Juniors. Rodgerson has been sidelined with pulls, breaks, twists to fill a text book.

"I've had most injuries going while I've been playing so I should know half of the symptoms from personal experience," smiled the player, whose League career has also taken in spells with Cardiff, Sunderland and Blues.

Having decided to further his knowledge, Rodgerson has been indebted to former Blues physio Paul Heath for his tuition.

And he has already been passing on some of his newly acquired skills with Hereford. Graham Turner has asked him to look after the rehabilitation programme of crocked players, while Keith Downing's exit to Wolves enabled him to have a backroom role coaching the YT players.

"I've always been interested in sporting injuries - probably because I've had a few myself," said Rodgerson.

"I'm coming to the age now where I have to look to the future.

"I would like to stay in football. I'm not sure I've got the nerves to be a manager. But I could myself as a physio."

Having got through the first two stages, studying part-time at North Birmingham College with Heath, Rodgerson, now takes the diploma over an intensive 10-day period at Lilleshall from Monday.

"It's pretty detailed stuff and of course all the names of the muscles have Greek names so it's a real education. But I'm really enjoying it!" he added.

"With the diploma, I'll be qualified to work in the League."

The next time Rodgerson goes down with an injury, now he'll know exactly what he has done!