Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Redrobe – The Grin said it all.

Yes, Big Eric was very pleased to be back in Hereford. "As I walked from the City centre, down Widemarsh Street towards the ground I felt a buzz. It was just like the days when we had our pre-match lunch in The Spread Eagle then walked the same route...the memories came flooding back".

I met Eric and his charming wife, Margaret, outside the player's entrance before being joined by our co-sponsors at around 1.45. Eric had already been busy signing autographs and fending off questions about whether or not he'd bought his boots with him. The pre-match buffet gave me time to ask him about his time at Edgar Street. "They were great times, we had a wonderful bunch of players who just loved playing the game." I asked him who was the best player during that period. "No-one, we were a team...everyone played their part. We all knew our job; mine was to create havoc in the opposing penalty area. I remember when Colin (Addison) signed me. In my first game, we played Northampton Town at home. After the game, I was talking to Pete Isaac and asked him how I'd done. He said they were a bit concerned because it was over thirty seconds before I clobbered their keeper." The Bulls won 2-0 and Eric had a hand in both goals. Redrobe had arrived.

"There were plenty of characters in those days Eric?"

"Oh yes, Harry Gregory was always up to something. One day he arrived with lengths of cloth for suits...just £6 each then he produced some leather coats. You just knew not to ask to many questions. The coats were very good though!"

We watched the game from seats in The Merton Stand and asked Eric to make the call for the Man of The Match award. "I'm impressed with Beckwith and McCombe. They look very solid but as a fully paid up member of the Centre Forwards Union it has to be Gary Hooper, he looks a very capable young player."

After the game we joined the throng in the VP Club where Eric was quickly back into reminiscing mode as he re-lived his time at Edgar Street. After a couple of small white wines I offered to drive Eric and Margaret back to their Hotel. "No, drop us by Marks and Sparks so we can walk through the City." Quite clearly, they have a warmth and affection for Hereford.

As we parted, I suggested we do it again in a couple of year's time. "Oh no" said Eric, "we'll do it a lot sooner than that."

Hasta la vista big man.