Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Turner appears to back down over Watson's life-ban

Graham Turner has failed to clarify whether he has banned Martin Watson from Hereford United for life.

In an item broadcast on BBC Hereford and Worcester Turner repeated much of what he had said in a club statement earlier today. He was then asked about the ban on Watson.

"I think we talked about a ban. I don't know where that ban for life has come from. I had a conversation and we do tend to fire from the hip in football, I had a conversation where I told him we didn't want supporters of his nature about the place. A ban might have been mentioned but there was certainly no indication of that," said Turner.

"I think it's been one of those situations where the sympathy vote has gone out but the sympathy for me lies with my staff and that is something I will back to the hilt."

Asked by the interviewer, Keith Gooden, if Watson was banned.

"There was no mention of a ban for life," said Turner.

Gooden then spoke with Malcolm Clarke from the Football Supporters Federation.

"I think I just heard Graham (Turner) saying that Martin wasn't banned. If that's so I'm very pleased because that will avoid Hereford United getting a reputation nationally, " said Clarke.

Gooden then tried to clarify what Turner had said about the ban.

"Can I just clarify that Martin Watson is not banned. I think he's gone." It seems Turner had left.

Watson was then asked for his reaction.

"I like to have some clarification from him to see what the situation actually is."

The whole interview can be heard at; www.webbex.net/misc/mw_ban.wma