Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Monday, October 31, 2005

Elding Set To Leave Stevenage

Anthony Elding appears set to leave Broadhall Way in the near future after a string of public rows with manager Graham Westley.

Elding, 23, joined Stevenage in Feburary 2003 and has averaged a goal every other game to make himself one of the hottest properties in the Conference. However constant arguments with Westley have blighted his time there, including being withdrawn from a pre-season trip, and he was an unexplained absentee for Saturday's 2-0 win at Gravesend.

Elding was spotted at yesterday's Burton-Altrincham match, but would not be drawn on speculation. He was recently withdrawn from the forthcoming England squad with Westley telling the press "He needs to get his house in order with the Club first". The player retorted: "It's like losing a family member and that's happened to me. I'm absolutely gutted. I wrote Graham a letter asking if he could get me back in but he said he stood by his decision. "I'm finding it very difficult to take. I'd rather be fined that withdrawn from the squad. Apart from my daughter, representing my country is as important as it gets for me."

Lincoln City appear to be the beneficiaries of the situation. Elding came through the youth ranks at near neighbours Boston before joining Stevenage, and looks set to return to Lincolnshire. If the move takes place, it would likely be as an initial loan until the transfer window opens.