Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Monday, May 23, 2005

Parry hopes to stay at Cardiff

Paul Parry hopes to stay at Cardiff City despite having missed parts of last season with injury.

However the ex-Hereford United player has told the Western Mail that Joe Ledley, the young winger who has taken Parry's place in the Bluebirds side, is destined for a great future.

Much could depend on who gets the mangerial job at Ninian Park now that Lennie Lawrence has moved upstairs.

"I'm definitely happy where I am," said Parry. "You hear a few rumours that people will be going, but nothing really concrete.

"I know the manager has to cut back, but it is up to him to work out how best to do that.

"But I really enjoy it there, they are the club I used to watch as a boy, it's close to home and I don't want to move."

Parry and Ledley spent last week in San Sebastian with the Wales squad.

"I bet there are a couple of clubs looking at him, I'm sure Cardiff would like to keep him, but it may be out of their hands.

"Joe has come in and done very well and he is going to be a great player.

"We both play similar positions, but I have played in the same team as him a few times and it's good to have competition because it keeps you on your toes.

"It has been nice for Joe to come out to Spain and meet the lads even through he hasn't been able to train because he is injured."

Parry suffered a serious ankle ligament injury after a dreadful tackle by Jon Olaf Hjelde in December's 3-0 win over Nottingham Forest and is desperate to get back into the first team.

"I knew at the time it was nasty and I would be out for a while," he said.

"I could feel the pain straight away and I thought I'd fractured or broken something, as it was I had done ligaments in my ankle.

"I tried to come back a few times and it wasn't right so I just had to wait for it to totally heal.

"I have had glandular fever before which lasted six months and that was hard, but the timing of the injury was hard this time around.

"Watching the boys struggle at Cardiff was disappointing because I knew I couldn't go out and help.

"Coming away with Wales has been a nice pick me up because I have been out since January and it has been nice to go away for a week with the boys.

"I'll need to do a bit more than the other boys to keep fit through the summer and that helped keep me ticking over."